Monday, December 18, 2006

How I found the Kellermans

I started reading Faye Kellerman through a somewhat odd route. I used to see all these books on the library shelf with the name Kellerman on the spine, except some were by Jonathan and some were by Faye.

Now, given that Kellerman isn't the most common of names, I wondered if these two were related. And being the nosy parker that I am, I read the jackets and realized that they were, in fact, married, which I (being a romance novelist) thought was pretty cool. So I took a couple of their books home and that is how I started reading J & F Kellerman.

The Garden of Eden and Other Criminal Delights is an anthology of short stories. Most of them focus on the criminal element, but there are four pieces at the back of the book that focus on the theme of family.

If you read the Rina Lazarus/Peter Decker books, you'll be happy to know they appear in a couple of the stories. But there are several completely stand-alone stories too so you can just dive in even if you've never read this author before. And there's quite a bit of dark humor in a few of the stories. One of these is my personal favorite in the collection - Malibu Dog has a twist that I just did not see coming. Anybody else read it? Did you guess the twist?

So, do you have any stories about how to came to start reading a particular author?

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

The Kellermans have a writer son too, who I know has signed a contract, but I'm not sure whether the book's been released yet.

Nalini Singh said...

I thought I heard something like that, May. It's a writing dynasty!

Anonymous said...

I have almost all of Jonathan Kellerman books. I have never read any from Faye - but will have to try a few.

You asked for a funny book story. My husband go me started on Jo Leigh's current series with HG Blaze. He is an airline pilot and general brings me a ton of great magazines. But back in October he brought me this "really really go book" home. Then he adds - "The flight crew kept looking at me funny as I read it and people in the airport too! Is it a famous book??" (Clearly I am the reader in this house. He has just started reading to fill his down time at airports and such!) I had to break it to him that Blaze novels are marketed to mainlu women! But he was right Closer was a great read.

Anonymous said...

Wow Too many typos, I was trying to save it and then forgot you cannot do that in comments. AGGGGGG - So I made corrections below. I will get the hang of this yet.


I have almost all of Jonathan Kellerman books. I have never read any from Faye - but will have to try a few.

You asked for a funny book story. My husband got me started on Jo Leigh's current series with HG Blaze. He is an airline pilot and generally brings me a ton of great magazines. But back in October he brought me this "really really good book" home. Then he adds - "The flight crew kept looking at me funny as I read it and people in the airport too! Is it a famous book??" (Clearly I am the reader in this house. He has just started reading to fill his down time at airports and such!) I had to break it to him that Blaze novels are marketed to mainlu women! But he was right Closer was a great read.

Sorry again for the typos!

Vivi Anna said...

Jonathon Kellerman is one of the authors on my keeper shelf. I love his books.

My mom loves Faye's books.

Nalini Singh said...

Susan - I LOVE that story!!!! I hope he still reads Jo Leigh?!

Vivi Anna - J Kellerman's Alex Delaware series is one of my absolute favorites.