Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Reviews, Interview & Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Lots of things to talk about today - the official release of Visions of Heat is almost here! I'm counting down the hours now. As well as doing that, I'm also hanging out in a couple of other places today, including Writeminded and Dear Author. The latter is part of an interview series focusing on international authors.

And to start the day off on a high note, two more great reviews for Visions of Heat:
"...brace yourselves because the second installment of the Psy-Changeling series will set all your senses ablaze and leave your fingers singed with each turn of the page. VISIONS OF HEAT is that intense!..."

Romance Junkies, 5 Ribbons
This one's from LesleyW, one of the ARC winners. I think this is my favorite bit of the review. She says of Vaughn and Faith, that:
"..they fit, in a way I don't think either of them would be able to with anybody else...."
Check out her review if you'd like to see another reader's take on the book.

Now, onto what I was going to post today before I got all this good news I had to share.

MOON CALLED - Patricia Briggs

This is the book I took with me on the plane trip to Australia. I don't usually concentrate very well on planes, but Moon Called drew me in and wouldn't let go, it was that good. I'm coming late to the series as this was published last year, but that's all to the better - because soon as I was done with Moon Called, I ran out and grabbed Blood Bound, the second book. I'm halfway through it and OMG it's so good!

Okay, onto the book. This is the backcover blurb:
Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.
Usually it's the blurb that grabs me, but this time around it was the cover. I love the covers for both books in the series! But though the cover caught my eye, it was the story that kept me hooked. Mercy is a one-of-a-kind heroine. She's a mechanic to start with, and she's got her feet firmly planted in the ground, despite the fact that she knows that there really are a lot of things that go bump in the night.

One of those things is her neighbour, Adam, who happens to be the alpha of the local werewolf pack. Can you say yum?! Then there's Samuel, another dominant wolf and someone she loved as a teenager. Yum x 2. But it's not just the romantic angle that had been hooked, it was the whole world. All the secondary characters have roles to play and they're interesting in their own right, from Zee, Mercy's old boss, to Ben, the creepy werewolf.

This is an urban fantasy, but with a definite romantic thread - I love the interplay between Mercy and Adam/Samuel. Their interactions sometimes reminded me of Eve and Roarke in the JD Robb books. Eve and Mercy are very different, but they're both strong women going up against equally strong men. The resulting fireworks are oh-so-cool.

Seriously, I cannot gush enough about this book. It is beyond fabulous! So much so that I kept annoying my travelling companions on my trip to Australia by sneaking off to read a few pages each time they had their backs turned. And the second I was done, I started in on Blood Bound. I think I've just found an author to add to my favorites list! Recommended a gazillion times over!

12 comments :

Angie-la said...

Well...crap!
Another author I am going to have to try. More books to sneak home while the DH isn't looking.
Gee thanks, Nalini. :P
I got hooked on Kim Harrison through a reader recommendation.
And Charlaine Harris.
From the blurb, it kinda reminds me a little of Rachel from KH and a little of Sookie from CH.

Marg said...

This book has been calling to me for a while now! I am trying to resist, but I think that it is useless!

Anonymous said...

You're welcome Angie-la *grin*

Marg - Resistance is futile!

LesleyW said...

I love the Mercy Thompson series.

But can't decide if I like Mercy/Adam or Mercy/Samuel. I think Adam is a better fit for her - so most of the time I'm Mercy/Adam. But especially after Blood Bound I want Samuel to have a happy ending too.

LesleyW

Neyjour said...

*insert fangirl squeal here*

I LOVE Patricia Briggs's new series! I read Blood Bound a few weeks ago and I can't wait for the third one, Iron Kissed! But...it won't be out until Jan 2008. *sigh* :(

Two other awesome books by Patricia Briggs that I HIGHLY recommend are "Steal the Dragon" and "When Demons Walk". :)

Lis said...

I've got this one in my tbr pile but I think I'm moving it to the top of the list. :o)

Anonymous said...

I've read both Moon Called and Blood Bound and LOVED them both! She's definitely a new favorite.

Also read Vision's of Heat last week - it was in the bookstore early - and LOVED it too! I really like the originality of the story line and the emotion between Faith and Vaughn - gotta love those alphas! HOW long do we have to wait for CBI??! *g*

May said...

I think Blood Bound was a more satisfying read than Moon Called.

It's nice reading a blog that rarely recommends books I haven't read. LOL.

Kris said...

I LOVE these books. It is becoming one of my favorite series.

Nalini Singh said...

May - that's a challenge if ever I heard one! Did you see my recomm of the picture book? ;)

And you guys are going to love me. I asked Patricia Briggs for an interview and she said yes! So soon as she's out of deadlineitis, we're gonna be talking to her! :)

Anonymous said...

yea!!

Anonymous said...

I loved Blood Bound and can't wait for the next installment.