Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Interview: Lori Foster

I'm so delighted to feature an interview with the lovely Lori Foster today! You all know how much I loved Back in Black - I couldn't wait to ask Lori all sorts of questions about her research for the series.

Please welcome Lori to the blog everyone! She'll be dropping by to answer any further questions, so comment away!

1. Who is Lori Foster? Tell us all your deep, dark secrets. (We won't tell anyone...)

I’m a country girl who likes one-pot meals like green beans and ham, sauerkraut and ribs, beef stew, etc.. I have three wonderful sons and an adorable grandson and a 30+ year marriage with a terrific hubby. I love animals, children, and the outdoors. I despise abuse and bullies of any kind. I love to draw and paint, just not as much as I love writing. :-) The best travel is in the RV with my pets along. Take me anywhere near water and I’m happy!

2. I just read "Back in Black" and loved it! How did you come up with the idea of the SB
C Fighters series?

My family and I are HUGE fans of the UFC. We’ve been watching since the beginning of the sport, back when it was no-holds barred, no weight classes, and very few rules. I like it better now that it’s been regulated and I think it provides for a higher level competitor. Anyway... loving MMA as I do, I have my favorite fighters. I’d see them in interviews and love how they talked of their wives, their children, their parents or pets... They’ve very real, hard working, dedicated and intelligent guys.

Perfect hero material!

3. Can you share some of the research you did into the world of mixed martial arts?

I attend a l
ot of live fights... no wait, I did that before I decided to write them into books.

For fights I can’t attend, I watch on PPV – but I did that before writing about them too. LOL

I did get to do some really great interviews with fighters, and the one-on-one
feedback was amazing. I think I already had a pretty good grasp of how it all works, but getting to hear it first hand, and learning of individual routines, really helped me to round out some of my stories.

4. Drew Black...what can I say...he's definitely a manly man of a hero. Rough, tough and absolutely delicious. Where did you get your inspiration for his character? And did he behave when you put him on the page?

Weeeeellll... anyone who watches MMA knows the very outspoken, foul-mouthed prez of the UFC, Dana White. See the fun? I just made him single and named him Drew Black. LOL. Honestly, I know NOTHING of Dana White beyond his public persona. But it doesn’t take a genius to see that he IS a genius, at least where business is concerned. He took a faltering business ready to collapse and has turned it into a sport fast-growing in popularity. He does like the “F” word a bit too much and seems to think it is a “catch-all” adjective and adverb in every sentence. LOL. But he
also amused me.

So I wrote him in. ;-)

5. Is "Back in Black" the final installment of this series?


I never say never, but for now, yes, it’s the last. Five books is a long series for me. I bore easily and my mind is always jumping ahead to other things, other
scenarios and characters and conflicts.

6. What are you working on now?

I recently made a move from Berkley to HQN. In 2011, I’ll have a spring novella, and then 3 back-to-back single titles romances with the. The new series is about Uber-Alpha guys. The first one, “If You Dare,” features a mercenary type hero who goes into Tijuana to rescue his friend’s sister who was taken there to be sold. He gets the sister – plus one. The other lady he rescues has a unique set of circumstances, and now that he’s gotten her safe, he doesn’t quite know what to do with her.

I had a ton of fun writing that book, so I hope readers will enjoy it!

7. Anything else you'd like to share?

Dianne Castell and I do a yearly event that brings together readers and writers, with some editors and agents thrown in. It’s called “The Reader and Author Get Together,” and this will be our 6th event. Information is on my website at: http://www.lorifoster.com/community/readergettogether.php

Everyone is welcome! For only $50 (the cost of the meals provided) you get an entire weekend of fun. I hope everyone will check it out.

And Nalini, we need to get you there one these years! :-)

N: One of these years!! Thanks so much for the interview, Lori.

14 comments :

Danica Avet said...

Hi Lori (again)! I'm not a stalker, honest. Okay, I haven't made any secret about my love of these SBC books. These books contain some of the best heroes I've come across in a long time.

I just have one question: are any of the men on the covers actual UFC fighters? :D

Great, great, book!

I ♥ Book Gossip said...

Hello Lori and Nalini!

My question is what new series will come out since you've recently ended this one?

-I Heart Book Gossip

Lori Foster aka L. L. Foster said...

Hey Danica!
I very much appreciate your appreciation. LOL Thank you.
No, the cover models aren't fighters. But they look like they could be, huh? LOL

Lori

Lori Foster aka L. L. Foster said...

The next series will be with HQN, and I'll have 3 books back to back in 2011. The guys are uber-Alpha mercenary types who can face danger without blinking. Very fun to write. LOL

Lori

Louise said...

Hi Lori :)
I just wanna it to say that LOVE your books!!
I just finished "Back in Black" and I think I feel in love with Drew!lol
I hope that this is not the end of the SBC Fighters series....
Can't wait for more releases!!

Lori Foster aka L. L. Foster said...

Hi Louise!
Thank you so much. :-)
As of right now, that is the last of the SBC single titles, but I never say never. If the right story comes to me, I might write another one. ;-)

Hope you have a wonderful week!

Lori

sonya said...

Hi y'all: Like Danica, I am not a stalker, but I cannot pass up an opportunity to tell you how much I enjoyed this series. This is definitely one of my all-time favs. IMO, your love of the sport and knowledge came across in the details of the stories that added more depth to the characters. To me, it seems that too many times, an author's lack of research comes across in the story making it shallow.

Lori Foster aka L. L. Foster said...

Thank you, Sonya! I DO love the sport, and I truly admire the men involved in it. :-)

Big hugs,

Lori

Barbarita V said...

I read this book and it was reeeeaally good. I really enjoy the secondary story as well.

Barbarita V said...

I forgot to say that I enjoy Lori's book very much they are sexy and HOT.

Lori Foster aka L. L. Foster said...

Thank you, Barbarita! I've gotten mixed reviews on the 2 in 1 romance plotline (such a strong secondary romance) but overall wonderful readers like you have claimed to enjoy it!
Hope you have a happy day!

Lori

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori,
I pick up your book Causing Havoc yesterday and I did not put it down until it was over.
I almost burn diner because I insisted on reading while cooking.
Jacinthe

Unknown said...

Hey Lori - Thanks for asking Nalini to come sometime to June Event...she is one of the people I said I'd really like to come!
I've been to each of Lori & Dianne's Get Togethers...and Highly recommend it for readers and authors...its a wonderful weekend.
I loved the SBC - and Drew's story (although I do have a tender place for Brett...after all he DID save a kitty...)
Kathy

Lori Foster aka L. L. Foster said...

Jacinthe, thank you! I'm glad the dinner was okay. ;-)

Kathy, thanks for always being our photographer at the event! We all appreciate it.

Hugs to all,

Lori