Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Lord of the Abyss Now Out!

Micah and Liliana's story is now out! I hope you all enjoy it. 

Here's a review of the book from Saiqa, who often comments on the blog.

Short and sweet: A Review of Lord of the Abyss by Nalini Singh




First of  all can I just say how cool the title is.  I’ve always liked the titles of Nalini’s books.  This book is about Liliana and Micah.  It uses the beauty and the beast fairytale as its foundation.  The twist is that it is the woman who is physically ‘ugly’.  I wasn’t quite sure how I felt about this at first because it’s not something I’m used to.  However it was nice to have a heroine who wasn’t perfect and worried about her appearance.  The part I especially sympathised with was her beaky nose.  I have always despaired over my far from perfect nose.

As well as being based on the beauty and the beast theme, this book is the final in a quartet series by different authors.  I devoured the first one as it was from my other favourite author Gena Showalter.  However I admit to missing the middle two.  This book works great as a stand-alone though as Nalini fills you in with her usual efficient manner.  This is another reason Nalini is my favourite author; she does not ramble on.

So to try and write this without too much waffling; Liliana goes searching for Micah and finds him.  He is the lord of the abyss read the book if you want to know what that is ). She is the daughter of the sorcerer who killed Micah’s parents when he was a small child and seized their kingdom Elden ( yes that’s right, they’re royals).  Due to the spell Micah’s mother cast to protect her children, they were all scattered to different places and Micah has no memory of who he is or of the curse he is under. Liliana is on an undercover mission to help Micah remember his real identity and to get him back to Elden to fight her evil evil father before the deadline on the curse is reached and all are doomed.  Phew, that was kind of hard to explain, especially without giving away any spoilers.

My favourite parts of this story were the fairy-tale aspect, Micah’s cool black armour, the forbidding castle ( I just love castles full stop ) and the two secondary characters who kind of remind me of the candlestick and the clock ? in the Disney version ( was I hallucinating or were they really there?) I also loved the ending; happy ever after does it for me everytime!  My least favourite parts of the story; there weren’t any.  The heroine was brave, the hero was an alpha male and the villain was evil incarnate.  All in all, a delicious story.  You will probably gulp it all in one go, like I did!

P.S: I have seen there is some criticism of the ending in other reviews, but to me the ending was perfect. I don’t think we had to see more of the other siblings as it wasn’t their book. The focus was on Liliana and Micah, as it should be.

By Saiqa.


5 comments :

Sarah (saz101) said...

I'm so excited for Lord of the Abyss! I preordered and now I'm (im)patiently waiting for it to arrive in my mailbox!
Seriously: I had dreams last night about about searching for you books. I think my sub-conscious is sending me hints.

Saiqa said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Thats the way I screamed when I noticed that my review has been put up. Thankyou Nalini, I am honoured. I hope you and the girls liked it. I tried not to write a long one this time because I was told it puts people off.I loved this book though and I would heartily recommend it.

CYP @ A Bookalicious Story said...

"The focus was on Liliana and Micah, as it should be."

YES! Omg, I thought that the ending was beautiful, but have been looking for a way to phrase my feelings properly. It was very clumsy (my review's on my blog and B&N and stuff) and arh. Haha, but your review was great, Saiqa!

Loved the book, Nalini! I hope Guild Hunter #5 comes out soon!!!!:X (A little too early to say this, but I am anxious:D)

Anonymous said...

hey cool insight Saiqa absolutely loved your review. I never really though to look at the story applying beauty and the beast as a template. But thanks for the thought. Have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the character of Micah, his innocence often came across as stupidity at times and attempts to make the story archaic quiet often missed the mark, I felt the story merge time line from modern to the stone-age concerning Micah's boldness and Liliana's protection of her chastity..
I am a huge Nalini Singh Fan and read her psy/changeling and guild hunter books religiously.
Forgive me if I caused offence with my comment.
Can't wait for the next book in her guild series
xxxx

Saiqa said...

Thanks CYP and Anonymous. I always feel like I have trouble finding the right words when I am writing reviews. I was complaining to my friends whilst I was writing it, that I wish I was more eloquent. So your kind words mean alot to me.